Total Pageviews

Friday, November 6, 2015

Black Lives Matter

When I moved to South Carolina 8 years ago, one of the things I gave up in leaving New York was my membership in an investment club. I looked around for several years to find a club in South Carolina, and I found one in Aiken, SC. I sent an email to the contact person and was invited to a meeting. I am a professor of Church and Ministry at Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary Lenoir-Rhyne University, Columbia, SC. That is how I introduced myself in my email. I am also black. My sense is that the club members expected a white male. I attended a meeting and learned that according to club rules, I would have to attend at least three meetings before I could be proposed for membership. I missed the next meeting due to the South Carolina flood of 2015. Two weeks after the meeting I missed I received an email which pointed out that the investment club was declining my membership application because I was not nominated by a club member. Translated, it means that I was denied membership in a white investment club because I am black. Black Lives Matter!

No comments: